Wednesday, February 13, 2008

“He leads me beside the still/quiet waters”

I love water! I love to swim, ski, fish, splash, boat (you get the picture. I have lived most of my life near waters… Near the Gulf of Mexico…By Pickwick Lake in Tennessee…In the river city of New Orleans…by the shores of Lake Coeur d’Alene… and now near the mighty Mississippi as it rolls past Memphis. I have spend many days beside the waters.

I love the ocean. There is something intriguing about lapping waves, roaring and foaming and crashing.

I love rivers. On occasion, I go watch the waters roll down the banks of the Mississippi. Swiftly moving…not still water at all! There is something mesmerizing about the steady flow.

I love the glassy appearance of a lake or pond! There is something so peaceful and surreal about the deep waters, the still waters.

For the sheep in the Psalm, rushing water is frightening. Still water is important. Nervous and frightened by the rush of a river, sheep would become agitated and restless. A good shepherd knew this. A good shepherd finds still waters because he loves his sheep.
In His presence, there is calmness and quiet. Jesus loves us and knows that we need the security and serenity of the still water. He wants to lead us beside quiet, still waters...

No comments: