Tuesday, November 20, 2007

BUT I DON'T WANT TO LIE DOWN!!!
"He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside the still waters".

In the hustle and bustle of my life, very rarely am I still. Activity for God is a cheap and easy substitute for intimacy with God! I fill my daytimer with appointments that keep me from slowing and experiencing time alone with the Master. Yet He knows my need for rest, for solace, for replenishment.

Shepherd boy, David wrote from first hand experience when he expressed thoughts on God's leading to green pastures and by still waters. The wise shepherd knows that nervous, anxious sheep need aggressive care and leadership. David declares, "He MAKES ME lie down". Why does He MAKE us lie down? I am convinced that it's because we don't want to.


David knew other terrain than green pastures and still waters. He knew parched land and turbulent storms. Of those times he said:

●"How long wilt thou forget me, O Lord? For ever?" (Psalms 13:1)
●"Hide not thy face from thy servant; for I am in trouble." (Psalms 69:17)
●"My soul thirsteth for thee...in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is." (Psalms 63:1)
●"My heart is smitten, and withered like grass." (Psalms 102:4)


And so David's discoveries in the twenty-third Psalm were incredible! He exchanged a thirsty land and withered grass for green pastures. He was no longer a lost sheep for he found the Shepherd. His thirsty soul was restored. The Shepherd granted him a miracle beside the still waters.


Jesus is the Great Shepherd and He knows what you need. He will quiet your soul and will lead you to a place of peace.

No comments: