Thursday, November 20, 2008

What would it look like?

Last Spring, I was asked a question by a friend who is also a leader in our church. His question was simple, but quite profound...here it is, "What would it look like if we put together a mission trip to Olive Branch (our hometown)"?

I joked and said, "WHAT, would we drive to the city limit sign and turn around"? His reply was emphatic and focused... There are so many needs in our community that we need to target energy & resources right here at home... we need to view our own community through a missionary lens.

Now some might hear a question like that and think...there's someone who doesn't have a heart for the nations. There is someone so insulated or isolated that they cannot see the needs of the world. Perhaps you judge my friend and say he is clouded by an "America first" mentality, or prejudiced against other nationalities, or both.

I can say without question, he is neither! He asked this question during a season where he was helping to raise support for an international mission project that involved sending 40 of our members overseas, including his wife! His heart for engaging the nations was never in question. Yet his obvious passion for our "Jerusalem" was shining through.

The question grew in my mind...My friend planted a seed that quickly germinated and sprouted other questions.

Questions like:

1) How in the world can we reach 160,000 + people in a week?
It will take longer than that!

2) How in the world can one mission team make a difference in our community?
It will take more people than that!

3) Where do we start?
It will take people from all walks of life using their skills and experiences to reach into all of the streams of culture in our community!

The idea was born... One Church, One Year, One Commission - OBey '09

  • We will trust God's promises to bless obedience!
  • We will own our portion of the Great Commission
  • We will concentrate on Olive Branch and DeSoto County for one year
    (Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, 2009)
  • We will challenge every member of our church & track participation
    (100% local mission participation)
  • We will look at various streams of culture as outlets for engaging our community.
    (Healthcare, government, education, sports, arts, neighborhoods, community events, etc...)

For the next several weeks, I will share the plans for OBey '09. Ultimately, we are challenging our church to obediently fulfill the Great Commission. To view their world through Missionary Eyes.

MISSIONARY EYES

Lord, give me missionary eyes To see the lost and dying,
To see their pain and crying.
Lord, give me missionary eyes.

Lord, give me missionary hands
To selflessly serve in any way I can.
Knowing that my reward will be
eternity spent next to Thee.
Lord, give me missionary hands.

Lord, give me missionary feet
to take your precious gospel down the street
to those who need to hear today,
to those who need to know the Way.
Lord, give me missionary feet.

Lord, give me missionary zeal
for there's a dying world that needs
to feel that someone cares about their soul,
Loosen my tongue, Lord, make me bold.
Lord give me missionary zeal.

Lord, give me missionary eyes
to see the lost and dying,
To see their pain and crying.
Lord, give me missionary eyes

~Author Wayne Talley ~

No comments: